In honor of my beloved mother, who passed away seven years ago today.
(My beautiful mom, at my wedding, just six months before her passing)
I remember the day you passed away so vividly in my mind. I went to work that morning and got a call from Dad at 8:45am. All he said was “come home” and I knew. I rushed out the door and drove the 5 mile drive to the house. I drove way too fast, got pulled over for speeding, and got a ticket, though I did not even care. When I walked in, Gran-E was sitting quietly on the couch and Dad walked out of the bedroom, crying. I went into your room to see you and you looked so peaceful and at ease. I was deeply saddened but also relieved, your pain was finally over and you were no longer suffering. You fought a losing battle, but fought as hard as you possibly could. That was you, the optimist, the fighter, the mom.
I am so thankful for the 23 years we had together. I think about you everyday and dream of how it would have been to have you be a ‘Mom Sher’ to my girls. Not one milestone has passed that I wish you could have seen them, been there with them, or even there to give advice to me on how to raise them. They love you more than anything, even though they have never met you. I have the deepest respect for you as a mother and am thankful that I had you long enough in my life to shape me into half the mother you were to me.
In honor of you, Mom Sher, we made homemade donuts, just like you used to make me when I was a little girl. We had a wonderful morning, making donuts and talking about you. I love you and miss you dearly.
~ Amy
1 comment:
Reading this brought me to tears. I will think twice next time before taking my mom for granted. I know I don't keep in touch nearly as well as I should, but I love keeping tabs on what you're up to through your blog.
Post a Comment